Since, we live in an evolving, and changing world, with constantly, differing, needs, goals, perceptions, and priorities, wouldn’t it make sense, for a true leader, to proceed, a relevant, sustainable, strategic plan, instead of, merely, making empty promises, relying on rhetoric, and fond memories, and, only, considering, the SAME OLD possibilities, options, ideas, etc? After, over four decades, of involvement, in, nearly, all areas of leadership, from identifying, and qualifying potential leaders, training, and developing them, and consulting to thousands of actual, and potential leaders, I have come to realize, all – too – often, the biggest obstacle to being a quality leader, may be, this unwillingness, to, think, outside – the – box, and proceed, without any type of viable, strategic and action plan. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means, and represents, and why it matters.
1. Strategic planning; solutions; service; stronger: Since, times change, groups benefit, when leaders, effectively, use, true, strategic planning, in order to consider options and alternatives, the relevant, and future needs, and emphasize quality service! They only make their organizations stronger, when/ if, they introduce viable solutions, for the greater good!
2. Action plans; attitude; aptitude: Once, there is a meaningful strategy, action plans, combined with a positive, can – do, attitude, and a well – developed, skill – set, and aptitude, usually makes his leadership, better, and more effective!
3. Make mark; motivate: Shouldn’t one try to make his mark, for the better, for the group, and constituents, he serves, and represents? When one does, it generally, motivates others, towards seeking a meeting – of – the – minds, for the greater good!
4. Empathy; excellence; emphasis; endurance: It’s essential to effectively, listen, and learn, from every conversation, and experience, in order to proceed, with genuine empathy! This must direct one’s emphasis, and, it’s important, for a leader, to demand his utmost degree of personal excellence, instead of merely, accepting, good – enough! Since, there are often, obstacles, when these are viewed, as challenges, to overcome, instead of problems, and one proceeds, with the endurance, to keep – going, forward, when others, often, quit, it differentiates the best ones, from the rest, of the pack!
5. Options; opportunities; open – mind: When, one considers, various options and alternatives, with an open – minded, he becomes better positioned, to recognize, and take advantage of the finest opportunities!
6. Listen; learn; leading: Since, no one, has all the answers, or, expertise, one must be ready, willing, and able, to effectively listen, and learn, if he wishes, to be leading, in a meaningful manner!
7. Delve deeply; discover; deliver: Go, beyond, the surface, and simplistic reasoning, in order, to deliver, the finest leadership, and, truly, deliver, for your organization, and stakeholders!
The SAME OLD, same – old, rarely creates the best approach, etc! Are you ready, willing, and able, to become a meaningful, quality leader?